February 8, 2015

Message on a Bottle

Hello-It's me Shari! Welcome back to my Sunday posting here at Artistic Outpost, I'm sure glad you're here!  One of the goals that I've made for myself (some may call it a New Year's Resolution) is to branch out and create on more different surfaces.  I create the most on card stocks and tags and have worked on burlap panels and a box canvas here and there, but I need to try more!

I took that goal to heart with today's offering using one of the new single stamps from the January Release, Sound of the Sea to alter this little glass bottle.


This bottle is a left-over from the wedding invitations that I made for my own destination wedding in Maui in 2008.  Although I did not decorate the outsides of the bottles back then, I had filled each bottle with sand, shells, sea glass and a coffee stained piece of vellum, which was our wedding invitation rolled up like a 'message in a bottle'.  I took that idea and simply made the decorations and message on the outside, instead! 


I treated the clear bottle with gloss multi-medium first, let air dry, then applied a layer of Wendy Vecchi's Crackled Texture Paste and let that air dry over night.  When dried, I rubbed Salty Ocean and Gathered Twigs Distress Paints over the surface of the crackle with my finger and heat dried.  Then I rubbed Walnut Stain Distress Ink over the crackly surface with my ink blending tool and heat dried. 

 


I stamped the Sound of the Sea image and the quote from the Boardwalk stamp set onto tissue paper several times with Jet Black Archival and ripped each image to leave the edges rough.  I applied the stamped tissue paper randomly onto the bottle with matte gel and allowed to air dry.  I then made some faux sand and applied here and there and stuck in a few mini shells and star fishes.  I let the sand air dry, then lightly brushed on matte gel and sprinkled micro-beads over the top, and let that air dry, too. 


When everything was dry and set (when I could move the bottle and nothing fell off, that is) I gave the entire bottle a few spritzes of Sunflower Sparkle Perfect Pearls Mist and carefully heat dried. 


I hope you like my altered bottle today--Hey, what kind of surfaces do you use your Artistic Outpost stamps on?  Well, come on over to the February Show Us Your AO Art Challenge and show us what you create on!!  The possibilities are endless!!  Hope to see you there!! 


Designer:  Shari Trumbull

1 comment:

Scrumplescrunch said...

It looks fabulous Shari.
Smiles:)
Sue